Jessica Gormley, a doctoral scholar in the AAC Leadership Project at PSU, shared her experiences with International Outreach Therapy Teams, Inc. engaging with a community in Haiti in building educational opportunities that include learners with severe and complex communication needs. [Presentation slides]
Jessica lead the discussion around recommendations structured according to a Cultural Humility approach, providing practical examples to:
- Consider the impact of poverty on the family’s and child’s sociocultural background,
- Consider access to goods and services,
- Work within a team to ensure the provision of ongoing, collaborative support,
- Investigate the strengths, needs, and goals of all stakeholders,
- Provide meaningful and relevant instruction to individuals with CCN and their communication partners, and
- Create and evaluate sustainable AAC practices.